Highlights of Southern Africa
3 countries, 3 icons: Cape Town, jewel of South Africa; Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe with Zambezi River cruise; 4 world-class safaris in Chobe, Botswana; 1 day in Nairobi
|Style||Small Group TourTravel with a small, intimate group of no more than 16 likeminded travelers (and often much fewer), escorted by an English speaking guide and/or tour manager for some or all of your journey. More of these packages
Dedicated tour escorts & guides throughout
|Departures||August 2022 – November 2023||Group Size||16 travelers max|
|Themes||Active, Bucket List, Nature & Wildlife|
|What to Expect||This moderately-paced, escorted tour includes a reasonable amount of walking or hiking and requires an average level of physical fitness. This tour also includes long scenic drives between destinations, sometimes on bumpy unpaved roads and may have limited rest stops. Travel safely and confidently with our new health & safety protocols.|
|Already booked?||Find everything you need to know before you go, including information about passport & visa requirements, flights, luggage, and more.|
Check prices & book now
Get updates about this package
Get ready to check off three of Africa’s most awe-inspiring bucket list icons on our fully-guided small group tour: Highlights of Southern Africa. Start your trip in Cape Town, the jewel of South Africa, and dive deep into this incredible country’s storied history and vibrant culture. Then, take a quick flight to Zimbabwe where you’ll spend two days learning why Victoria Falls is known as the “Smoke that Thunders”! Explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site, and largest curtain of falling water in the world, then sit back and enjoy a sunset cruise along the Zambezi River. Round out your trip with two days in Chobe National Park, Botswana as your expert guide takes you deep into some of the world’s best game viewing territory in search of lions, hippos, giraffes, buffalo, cheetah and more!
From the glowing sunsets and sunrises, stunning natural wonders, and rich biodiversity to the spectacular food, fascinating people, and exciting history, our expertly-crafted itinerary combines fully-guided tours with plenty of free time to explore what you love or join one of our optional excursions like a day in the Cape Winelands or experiencing the culture of the Bo-Kaap (formerly known as the Malay Quarter).
We’ve worked with our partners in Africa to offer this innovative itinerary at an absolutely irresistible price that we’re sure will sell fast! So if you haven’t experienced the incredible wonders that await you in Southern Africa, this is the trip you’ve been looking for. So what are you waiting for?
- Round trip flights from New York (JFK) on Kenya Airways including taxes & fees
- All intra-Africa flights, land transportation and transfers throughout the tour
- 9 night accommodations in first class hotels and game lodges
- 13 meals: 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches & 2 dinners
- Professional English-speaking guide and game rangers
- Services of an experienced driver-guide
- Cape Winelands tour
- Bo-Kaap Melting Pot
- Business class upgrades on Kenya Airways (KQ)
Why you'll love it
- Visit 3 countries, 3 icons: Cape Town, jewel of South Africa; Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe; and, 4 safaris in Chobe, Botswana.
- Spend two days exploring Cape Town independently or enjoy an optional Cape Winelands Tour and Bo-Kaap Melting Pot Tour & Cooking Class.
- Journey by funicular railway to Cape Point for breathtaking views of the Cape of Good Hope.
- Watch African Jackass penguins play along the sands of Boulder Beach.
- Hear the thunderous roar of Victoria Falls, the world’s largest waterfall.
- Cruise along the Zambezi River at sunset and get a chance to spot some of the wildlife that frequent it.
- Hand-feed endangered giraffes at the Langata Giraffe Center.
- Visit the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphans' Nursery, where young elephants are cared for until they are ready to be released back into the wild.
Itinerary at a Glance
- 1 Depart USA
- 2 Cape Town
- 3 Cape Town
- 4 Cape Town
- Optional Excursion: Bo-Kaap Melting Pot Tour with Cooking Class
- 5 Cape Town
- Optional Excursion: Cape Winelands tour (1270 ZAR purchased locally)
- 6 Cape Town & Victoria Falls
- 7 Victoria Falls
- 8 Victoria Falls & Chobe
- 9 Chobe
- 10 Chobe, Victoria Falls Zimbabwe & Nairobi
- 11 Nairobi/Depart
Dates & Prices
Dates & Prices
Dates & Prices, with flights
per person, double occupancy*, during sale**, including sale discounts**
Departs U.S.: Wed, Jun 8, 2022
Finishes: Sat, Jun 18, 2022
Jun 8 – Jun 18
Departs U.S.: Wed, Aug 24, 2022
Finishes: Sat, Sep 3, 2022
Book by Thu, May 12, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Aug 24 – Sep 3
Departs U.S.: Wed, Sep 7, 2022
Finishes: Sat, Sep 17, 2022
Book by Thu, May 12, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Sep 7 – Sep 17
Departs U.S.: Wed, Sep 21, 2022
Finishes: Sat, Oct 1, 2022
Book by Thu, May 12, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Sep 21 – Oct 1
Departs U.S.: Wed, Oct 19, 2022
Finishes: Sat, Oct 29, 2022
Book by Thu, May 12, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Oct 19 – Oct 29
Departs U.S.: Wed, Nov 9, 2022
Finishes: Sat, Nov 19, 2022
Book by Thu, May 12, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Nov 9 – Nov 19
Departs U.S.: Wed, Mar 22, 2023
Finishes: Sat, Apr 1, 2023
Book by Thu, May 12, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Mar 22 – Apr 1
Departs U.S.: Wed, Aug 23, 2023
Finishes: Sat, Sep 2, 2023
Book by Thu, May 12, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Aug 23 – Sep 2
Departs U.S.: Wed, Sep 6, 2023
Finishes: Sat, Sep 16, 2023
Book by Thu, May 12, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Sep 6 – Sep 16
Departs U.S.: Wed, Sep 27, 2023
Finishes: Sat, Oct 7, 2023
Book by Thu, May 12, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Sep 27 – Oct 7
Departs U.S.: Wed, Nov 15, 2023
Finishes: Sat, Nov 25, 2023
Book by Thu, May 12, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Nov 15 – Nov 25
If you want a few extra days to explore on your own, we may be able to arrange for you to stay later than the scheduled dates, including extra hotel nights and separate airport transfers, for an additional charge. Ask us about prices and availability when (or after) you book. More information Want to extend your trip?
Options & Fees
|Highlights of Southern Africa|
|Jun 8, 2022||$599|
|Aug 24, 2022||$899|
|Sep 7, 2022; Sep 21, 2022; Oct 19, 2022; Nov 9, 2022||$999|
|All other dates||$749|
|Bo Kaap Melting Pot Culture & Cuisine Tour||$185|
|Separately Paid Fees|
|Zimbabwe Visa Fee1 (paid separately)||$60|
|Kenya Transit Visa2 (paid separately)||$21|
1. Paid locally for US passport holders. $60 for multiple entry visa.
2. Visitors to Kenya must obtain a transit visa.
So that we can offer you the best deals, our packages are, like most hotels and cruises, priced based on double occupancy rooms or cabins. We charge solo travelers an extra fee to cover the extra costs of single occupancy rooms or cabins. (Consider: if you booked a $200/night hotel room solo, you would pay the $200 yourself; but if a couple booked the same room, each one would pay only $100.) But you only pay extra for the rooms or cabins, nothing else, including meals, sightseeing, tips, etc. Why are single rooms more?
Flights & Departure Cities
|New York Kennedy (JFK)1||included|
1. Business class upgrades on Kenya Airlines (KQ) may be available. Request this upgrade during the booking process in the Special Requests section, and we will check the availability and provide you with a price.
This package includes round-trip flights from the city listed above. Please review the flight schedule, especially if you're booking connecting flights.
Want to fly from another city? Unfortunately, we don't offer flights from other cities, but you can book your own connecting flights.
Day 1 Depart USA
- Your exciting journey to Southern Africa begins this evening as you check in for your overnight flight.
Day 2 Cape Town
- Arrive in Cape Town with the rest of the day at leisure
Radisson RED Cape Town or similarFull Day Itinerary
Sawubona (welcome)! Arrive today in Cape Town, a beautiful jewel nestled between stunning Table Mountain and a dramatic coastline. This modern, bustling and vibrant city boasts gorgeous scenery, fabulous restaurants, hotels and beaches, and is bursting with history and culture. Upon arrival at Cape Town's airport, you will be met and transferred to your centrally located hotel. Enjoy the remainder of the day at leisure.
Day 3 Cape Town
- Full Day Excursion to Cape Town, Table Mountain and Cape Point
Radisson RED Cape Town or similar BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
In the morning, begin your full day panoramic city tour of Cape Town, showcasing the scenic and historic highlights of this vibrant city. Weather permitting, ascend by cable car to the top of Table Mountain, Cape Town's most striking landmark. Drive by the country's oldest building, the Castle of Good Hope, an imposing 17th century Dutch fort set against the dramatic backdrop of Table Mountain. Later, drive past secluded coves, beautiful beach towns and spectacular mountain scenery. Stop at famous Chapman's Peak. Enter the nature reserve that covers the southern part of the Peninsula, and drive through the unique scenery towards Cape Point. Travel by funicular railway to Cape Point where you can take in stunning views of the Cape of Good Hope. Later, make a brief stop to visit the African jackass penguins at Boulders Beach.
(If the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway is closed due to maintenance or inclement weather, visit Signal Hill instead)
Day 4 Cape Town
- Last day at leisure to explore Cape Town
- Or join an optional tour to experience the culture of Bo Kaap
Radisson RED Cape Town or similar BreakfastOptional Excursion: Bo-Kaap Melting Pot Tour with Cooking Class
This morning, join a Bo-Kaap "Melting Pot" tour to discover the rich heritage, culture and cuisine of the Cape Malay people. We visit the Bo-Kaap Museum, the oldest Mosque in South Africa, pass the oldest house, the first farmhouse and take a walk past the famous colorful houses. Next you will step into an aromatic spice shop to learn about the origins of the spices. Visit a Cape Malay home and learn how to cook an authentic pot of curry, fold a spicy samosa and knead, spin and roll a perfectly flaky roti. As a finale to your cooking lesson, enjoy tasting your delicacies together with your host.
(The sequence of visits may be reversed. This optional tour must be pre-purchased.)
January to November 2022: $185 per person
January to November 2023: $195 per person
Day 5 Cape Town
- Day at leisure to explore Cape Town, or participate in an exciting optional tour of Cape Winelands
Radisson RED Cape Town or similar BreakfastOptional Excursion: Cape Winelands tour (1270 ZAR purchased locally)
This morning, head to the premier wine producing regions of Paarl, Franschhoek and Stellenbosch through the heart of the Cape Winelands. Visit the town of Franschhoek, passing the impressive Huguenot Monument. Experience breathtaking views from the historical Taal Monument in Paarl, one of the Cape's first farming districts. Stellenbosch is world-renowned for making some of South Africa’s premier wines. Enjoy a tour of this historic town with its well preserved architecture, pop into some of the local stores and markets, and enjoy some of the fine wines as you enter a renowned wine estate.
Day 6 Cape Town & Victoria Falls
- Transfer to the airport for your flight to Victoria Falls
- Remainder of the day at leisure
A'Zambezi River Lodge or similar BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
Day 7 Victoria Falls
- Guided Tour of the Falls
- Sunset cruise on the Zambezi River
A'Zambezi River Lodge or similar BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
This morning enjoy a guided tour of the falls. You'll soon discover why this UNESCO World Heritage Site is considered one of the greatest natural wonders—and the largest curtain of falling water in the world! Located at the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia, Victoria Falls consists of numerous falls separated by islands in the river below. The Zambezi River spills more than 2 million gallons of water per second over the Bakota Gorge, creating multiple rainbows and resulting in an awe-inspiring display of raw power unrivaled by other natural wonders. The tremendous roar of the water and the ever-present cloud of spray give the falls their local moniker, "Smoke that Thunders."
Later today, you'll have the opportunity to witness a breathtaking sunset while enjoying a cruise along the Zambezi River. Be on the look-out for hippos, monkeys, elephants, and crocodiles that frequent the waters and the surrounding areas.
Day 8 Victoria Falls & Chobe
- Transfer to Botswana
- Enjoy your first boat safari on the Chobe River
Cresta Mowana Safari Resort & Spa or similar Breakfast, lunch & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, depart Zimbabwe and cross the border into Botswana. Check into your lodge, located on the banks of the mighty Chobe River. The river provides sustenance for many animals often come down to the river to replenish themselves. Enjoy a sunset river boat safari that graciously explores the Chobe River and introduces guests to the various animals and bird species that frequent it.
Day 9 Chobe
- Morning game drive in Chobe
- Afternoon boat safari on the Chobe River
Cresta Mowana Safari Resort & Spa or similar Breakfast, lunch & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
After an early wake-up call, head out for your first game drive in Chobe National Park. With over 75 species of mammals in the area surrounding your lodge, including the abundance of elephants in the adjacent Chobe National Park, today is a safari-lover's dream. The park has some of the largest concentrations of game on the African continent, including giraffe, buffalo, lion, leopard, cheetah and bushbuck. Return to the lodge to rest and enjoy lunch.
This afternoon, head out on another boat safari for another chance to spot more wildlife and witness the beauty of the African sky as the sun sets.
Day 10 Chobe, Victoria Falls Zimbabwe & Nairobi
- AM game drive in Chobe
- Depart for Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and stop for lunch
- Transfer to Victoria Falls International Airport for your flight to Nairobi
- Arrive in Nairobi
Hilton Garden Inn or similar Breakfast & lunchFull Day Itinerary
Set out for your final game drive early this morning. Afterward, return to the lodge for breakfast and to freshen up. Transfer to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and enjoy lunch before continuing to Victoria Fallls International Airport for your flight to Nairobi. Later this evening, arrive in Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, after completing arrival formalities, collect your luggage and be met by our representative and transfer to your hotel.
Day 11 Nairobi/Depart
- Visit the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphans' Nursery
- Stop at the Kazuri Bead Factory Store
- Feed the giraffes at the Langata Giraffe Center
- Transfer to the airport for your overnight return flight
BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, visit the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphans' Nursery, where young orphaned elephant babies are hand-raised until they are released back to their natural habitat in the Tsavo National Park. Here they are able to mingle freely with the wild community. Continue to the Kazuri Bead Factory Store, where the guide will explain the hand-making process. Kazuri, which means "small and beautiful" in Swahili, began in 1975 as a tiny workshop experimenting in making handmade beads. The factory is located on part of the former Blixen estate. Its founder, Lady Susan Wood, started with two Kenyan women and soon discovered that there were many other women in the villages around Nairobi, most of them single mothers, who were in great need of regular employment.
Later, visit the Langata Giraffe Center, established to protect the endangered Rothschild's giraffe. There are also several warthogs which roam freely with the giraffes. Guests may feed the giraffes from a raised feeding platform. Afterward, return to the hotel to freshen up before your departure.
Bid farewell to Nairobi has you transfer to the airport for your overnight return flight, arriving in the USA the following morning.
Proposing a unique lifestyle experience within Silo district, the Radisson RED Hotel V&A Waterfront Cape Town is the first of its kind, focusing on art, fashion and music to connect people. The hotel features a rooftop sun terrace and views of the sea. Free high-speed Wi-Fi is available throughout the property.
The A’Zambezi River Lodge enjoys a wonderful location on the banks of the Zambezi River, within the protected Victoria Falls National Park and just minutes away from Victoria Falls town and the mighty falls themselves. The lodge features an African-style design, complete with thatched roofs blending into the natural environment. Other nearby attractions include a championship 18-hole golf course and fascinating Crocodile Sanctuary.
Cresta Mowana Safari Resort & Spa is situated on the banks of the Chobe River in Botswana. It is one of southern Africa’s sustainable tourism destinations where luxury exists in harmony with nature, providing a unique location from which to explore the magical wonders of untamed Africa. The resort offers a 9-hole golf course and fully equipped Clarins Spa. The Mowana Spa's state of the art facilities include four private treatment rooms complemented by a raised deck overlooking the Chobe River on which open air pampering sessions are highly recommended. Adjacent to the spa is their fully-equipped gym.
The Hilton Garden Inn Nairobi Airport is a 175 room hotel with a convenient location close to the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. The hotel features complimentary Wi-Fi, a 24 hour business center, a heated rooftop swimming pool, fitness center, complimentary self-operated laundry.
In the unlikely event that a particular hotel is not available, a similar or better hotel may be substituted.
Reviews & Photos
We love hearing your stories and seeing your photos! Here are some moments other travelers captured on this package. Or check out our entire fan photo gallery.
- What should I know before I go? We've compiled a comprehensive checklist, including information on how to pay your balance due, flights & transfers, packing & luggage, and more.
- Do I need a visa or other documents? Are there any entry requirements? Travel visas are required for this package. Please review the visa & entry requirements.
- Can I make changes to my trip? Want to upgrade your seats? Stay a few extra days? Something else? Just ask!
- Can I bring my kids? Are there any age restrictions? To book this package, you must be 18 or older. Your traveling companions must be 8 or older at time of travel.
- Should I purchase travel insurance? Yes! We recommend you purchase travel insurance to help protect you and your travel investment against the unexpected. For your convenience, we offer a plan provided by Travelex Insurance Services.
- What's the fine print? Review the terms & conditions for this package.
- What should I know about Kenya? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
- What should I know about South Africa? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
- What should I know about Zimbabwe? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
- What should I know about Botswana? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
More Common Questions
- Common Questions Answers to our travelers' most frequently asked questions.