Why purchase travel protection?
Even with the most meticulous planning, travel can be full of surprises. Here are just a few situations that could arise:
- You get sick just before traveling or while on tour.
- A family emergency comes up the day before you're due to depart.
- You booked a domestic connecting flight, but it's delayed, causing you to miss your international flight.
- A severe storm causes your international flight to be grounded, and now you'll miss part of your itinerary.
- Your bags get lost, misrouted or damaged in transit.
- You get food poisoning or sprain an ankle while on tour.
When you purchase a travel protection plan, you can enjoy your trip knowing that you have protection against many unforeseen circumstances.
Travel Protection by Travelex
- If you purchased the plan between Sep 4, 2019, and Jul 13, 2021, or are a resident of Pennsylvania who purchased the plan between Oct 1, 2020, and Jul 31, 2021, please see this page.
- If you purchased the plan prior to Sep 4, 2019, or or are a resident of Pennsylvania who purchased the plan prior to Oct. 1, 2020, please see this page.
For your convenience, we offer a travel protection plan provided by Travelex Insurance Services, one of the most respected names in the industry, which you can add to your booking. The plan is available to anybody with a primary residence in the United States, excluding overseas territories.
Benefits include coverage for trip cancellation for a covered reason, interruption or travel delays, missed connections, medical emergency expenses and evacuation, lost or delayed baggage, and more. Maximum covered trip cost is $15,000 per person.
Policy, Benefits & Coverage
Click below for the full policy coverage terms and details, including limitations and exclusions, as well as contact information for emergency travel assistance and instructions on how to make a claim. We recommend you print this document and carry it with you on your trip:
The benefit descriptions below are only brief summaries. Coverage benefits and rates may vary by state.
- TRIP CANCELLATION & INTERRUPTION: Helps protect travel investments and recover non-refundable, prepaid trip costs if you need to cancel or interrupt your covered trip due to a covered reason.
- TRIP DELAY: Provides reimbursement of up to $1,000 ($200/day) for additional expenses such as accommodations, meals and local transportation, if your trip is delayed 5 hours or more for a covered reason. Trip Delay does not reimburse for expenses incurred after travel becomes possible.
- BAGGAGE & BAGGAGE DELAY: Provides reimbursement up to $1,000 (Baggage & Personal Effects)/$250 (Delay) for personal articles and expenses if bags are lost, stolen, damaged or delayed for 12 hours or more.
- EMERGENCY MEDICAL & DENTAL EXPENSES: Provides coverage up to $50,000 (Medical Expense) and up to $750 (Dental Expense) for emergency medical treatment if an unforeseen sickness or accidental injury occurs while traveling.
- EMERGENCY EVACUATION & REPATRIATION: Provides coverage up to $100,000 for Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation. Covers costs of transportation for an emergency evacuation to the nearest suitable hospital (also includes repatriation).
- 24-HOUR ACCIDENTAL DEATH & DISMEMBERMENT: Provides coverage up to $50,000 for loss of life, limbs or sight from a covered accidental injury anytime during your Covered Trip. (Not available for residents of New Hampshire.)
- TRAVEL ASSISTANCE SERVICES*: Includes a wide range of services before and during a Covered Trip through a 24/7 toll-free number. This includes assistance with medical emergencies, lost documents or baggage, event ticketing, business services, and much more.
COVID-19 Coverage & FAQs
The plan provides emergency medical & evacuation coverage if you become ill with the virus or are quarantined while traveling; please see the policy for details.
However, like most travel protection plans, it does not provide coverage for trips that are cancelled due to travel advisories, the destination being inaccessible.
COVID-19 is being treated the same as any other illness, and it is subject to pre-existing medical condition exclusions. You may be eligible for trip interruption, emergency medical/evacuation coverage if you contract the virus while on your trip.
To be eligible for trip cancellation/interruption coverage, one of the following must occur while your coverage is in effect:
- You or your traveling companion would need to be sick as diagnosed by a physician and unfit for travel (which could include contracting the coronavirus and being physically quarantined as a result).
- Your non-traveling family member is diagnosed with COVID-19, and it is considered life-threatening or they require your immediate care. This must be certified by a physician.
- Your business partner is diagnosed with COVID-19 and you must cancel or interrupt your trip to assume daily management of the business. This must be certified by a physician.
Fear of contracting the coronavirus, including due to your age or underlying health conditions, even with a certified physician notice, is not an eligible reason for trip cancellation/interruption coverage. You would only be eligible for this coverage if you become ill while the policy is in place and the sickness is so disabling as to prevent you from taking or continuing the trip.
If you are unable to travel to your destination due to a government travel warning, restriction or ban, you would not be eligible for trip cancellation/interruption coverage. Travelex may allow you to apply the policy to another trip at a later date. Please contact Travelex or Friendly Planet for further details on this option.
You would be eligible for trip interruption/delay coverage if you are quarantined in either a hospital, hotel, or vacation rental (i.e. Airbnb) while on a trip on a doctor's orders. This order must be submitted with your claim. You would not be eligible for coverage for the following:
- Government-imposed quarantine
- Self-imposed quarantine
- Shelter-in-place order
Coverage for Other Travel Arrangements
Upon request, the plan can also cover any other travel arrangements related to your trip not purchased through Friendly Planet Travel, particularly any hotel stays or domestic connecting flights (flights from your home city in the U.S. to our package departure city). If you have purchased (or plan to purchase) any such travel arrangements and would like to include them in your coverage, simply contact us at any time prior to making your final payment. Note that the additional coverage might increase your premium slightly; see the Price section below.
However, if you purchased your package from us without international flights (i.e. "tour only"), we cannot add coverage for any international or domestic flights that you purchase from other vendors.
Purchasing Options & Deadlines
When you book a trip with us, online or by phone, we'll give you the option to add on the protection plan to your booking (provided you enter an address in the U.S., excluding overseas territories, and your trip total cost falls within the limits listed below under Price).
The plan may be purchased at any time until you make your final payment. It may not be purchased after we receive your final payment. To add coverage to your existing booking, you can simply visit our payment page for most packages. Or contact us.
If for some reason you need to change your departure date or even your package, we may be able to transfer your tour deposit and your premiums to your new booking, provided you have not filed a claim, commenced travel. Ask your Friendly Planet Travel representative for full details.
Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion Waiver
The pre-existing condition exclusion will be waived if you purchase the plan within 15 days of booking, your full trip cost is insured, and you are medically fit to travel at the time of purchase.
The cost of the plan is determined by the total trip cost per person. This includes all travel expenses paid to Friendly Planet. It may also include the cost of other travel expenses related to your trip not purchased through Friendly Planet, if you request that we include them in your coverage and provided that you have purchased your international flights from us (see Coverage for Other Travel Arrangements above).
All premiums shown below are per person and are subject to change.
|Total trip cost
|$0 – $1,500.00
|$1,500.01 – $3,000.00
|$3,000.01 – $4,500.00
|$4,500.01 – $6,000.00
|$6,000.01 – $7,500.00
|$7,500.01 – $10,000.00
|$10,000.01 – $12,500.00
|$12,500.01 – $15,000.00
15 Day Review Period
If you are not completely satisfied with your coverage, contact us within 15 days of purchasing and we will refund your premium, provided you have not departed on your trip or filed a claim. After 15 days, the premium is nonrefundable unless we cancel your trip prior to departure and you have not filed a claim. If you change your package or departure, and select travel protection coverage for the new booking; in most cases we are able to transfer your premium payments to the new booking.
24-Hour Emergency Travel Assistance Services
World Travel Protection
Within the U.S.:
Outside the U.S.:
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Plan & Coverage Questions
Travelex Insurance Services
Mon – Fri, 8am – 7:00pm CT
810 N. 96th St., Ste. 300
Omaha, NE 68114-2767
For all inquiries related to plans purchased on or after Jul 14, 2021, or by residents of Pennsylvania on or after Aug 1, 2021, refer to Plan #362A-0721.
Consumers in California may also contact the California Department of Insurance Hotline at
Claim Questions & Status Inquiries
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Claims Department
Mon – Fri, 7am – 7pm CT [email protected]
P.O. Box 2986
Clinton, IA 52733
If you need to file a claim, contact us and/or the claims department as soon as reasonably or medically possible. The Claims Department will then advise you on how to obtain the appropriate form to be completed by you (and/or your attending physician, if relevant). Download claim forms at travelexinsurance.com.
Details & Disclaimers
The plan and benefit descriptions provided here are only brief summaries and may be changed without notice. For full coverage terms and details, including limitations and exclusions, please see the full policy, which varies by state. NY State residents, see this special notice regarding coverage related to COVID-19.
The plan provides insurance coverage which only applies during your covered trip. The purchase of the plan is not required in order to purchase any other travel product or service. Friendly Planet Travel is not licensed to sell travel insurance, and we will only be able to provide general information about the plan; we cannot answer questions about the terms and conditions of the insurance offered. You may have insurance coverage from other sources that provide similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon the coverage. You may wish to compare the terms of the travel policy offered through Travelex with any existing life, health, home, and automobile insurance policies you may have. If you have questions about your coverage under your existing insurance policies, contact your insurer, insurance agent, or broker. Friendly Planet cannot evaluate the adequacy of any existing insurance coverage you may have.
To view state specific fraud warnings, visit: www.travelexinsurance.com/company/fraud-warning.
Travelex maintains an updated list of alerts and financial defaults on its website at www.travelexinsurance.com/customer-service/travel-alerts/travel-supplier.
Travel Insurance underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company NAIC #22276 under Policy Form series (all states except as otherwise noted) PG-TA-IPL-USE. In KS, MN, MO, MT, OR, and VA Policy Form series PG-TA-IPLNV. In CA Policy Form # PT-TA-IPL-CAEAH, CO Policy Form # PG-TA-IPL-COEAH and PG-TA-IPL-COEIM, IL Policy Form # PG-TA-IPL-ILE, IN Policy Form # PG-TA-IPL-INEAH and PG-TA-IPL-NVIM, MD Policy Form # PG-TA-IPL-MDE, NH Policy Form # PG-TA-IPL-NHE, NY Policy Form # PG-TA-IPL-NVIM and PG-TA-IPL-NVAH-NY, PA Policy Form # PG-TA-IPL-USIM and PG-TA-IPL-NVAH-PA, TX Policy Form # PG-TA-IPL-TXEAH and PG-TA-IPL-TXEIM, WA Policy Form # PG-TA-IPL-NVIM and PG-TA-IPL-WAEAH. YX2