Highlights of Scandinavia
Discover the wonders of Scandinavia: The Old World charm of Copenhagen in Denmark; Norway’s gems of Oslo, Flåm and Bergen; and Stockholm, the capital of Sweden.
|Style||Small Group TourTravel with a small, intimate group of no more than 16 likeminded travelers (and often much fewer), escorted by an English speaking guide and/or tour manager for some or all of your journey. More of these packages
Dedicated tour escorts & guides throughout
|Departures||Group Size||16 travelers max|
|Themes||History & Culture, Grand Tours, Bucket List, Nature & Wildlife|
|What to Expect||This moderately-paced, escorted tour includes a reasonable amount of walking and requires an average level of physical fitness Travel safely and confidently with our new health & safety protocols.|
|Already booked?||Find everything you need to know before you go, including information about passport & visa requirements, flights, luggage, and more.|
Get updates about this package
- Round-trip flights from NYC (JFK or EWR) including taxes & fees
- All intra-flights, cruises, and ground transportation
- 10 nights accommodation in first class hotels
- 17 Meals: 10 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 6 dinners including welcome and farewell dinners with wine or beer
- Professional English speaking local tour guides
- Comprehensive touring program and entrance fees
- Edvard Munch Museum
Why you'll love it
- Tour the charming city of Copenhagen, including the houses of Nyhavn, the famous Little Mermaid, and the Royal Amalienborg Palace.
- Learn the art of making a traditional Danish smørrebrød, an open-faced sandwich considered by Danes to be the best in the world.
- Sail through Copenhagen’s canals as well as on an overnight cruise to Oslo, Norway.
- Visit Frogner Park, the Royal Palace, City Hall, and Askerhus Fortress in Oslo.
- Experience life on The Fram, the first polar research ship, with 270-degree surround sound film.
- Experience a bird's-eye view of Oslo from the top of the Holmenkollen Ski Jump.
- Travel on the famous Flåm Railway through the beautiful mountains, waterfalls, and local villages.
- Learn about traditional Norwegian beer with an included tasting at a local brewery.
- Cruise through Nærøyfjord, a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of Norway's most spectacular fjords.
- Tour Bergen’s Hanseatic Bryggen, and ride the Fløibanen funicular to the top of Mount Fløyen for an incredible view overlooking the city.
- Visit Gamla Stan, the Royal Palace, Vasa Museum, and City Hall in Stockholm, the “Venice of the North”.
- Indulge in traditional Swedish fika coffee and cake at a local café.
Itinerary at a Glance
- 1 Depart USA
- 2 Copenhagen, Denmark
- 3 Copenhagen
- 4 Copenhagen, Overnight cruise to Oslo, Norway
- 5 Oslo, Norway
- 6 Oslo
- Optional Excursion: Edvard Munch Museum, $65
- 7 Flåm
- 8 Flåm & Bergen
- 9 Bergen
- 10 Stockholm, Sweden
- 11 Stockholm
- 12 Depart Stockholm/Arrive USA
Day 1 Depart USA
- Depart the United States on your overnight flight to Copenhagen, Denmark.
Day 2 Copenhagen, Denmark
- Upon arrival transfer to your hotel
- Spend the day at leisure before joining your fellow travelers at a welcome dinner
Copenhagen Admiral Hotel or similar DinnerFull Day Itinerary
Welcome to Scandinavia! After completing immigration and custom formalities, you will be met at the airport and transferred to your hotel for check-in.
Spend time exploring your new city at leisure before joining your fellow travelers at a welcome dinner.
Day 3 Copenhagen
- Discover the art of making a traditional Danish smørrebrød, or open-faced sandwich, in a hands-on cooking class
- Meet with a local guide for a private tour of Copenhagen
- Admire the magnificently preserved and colorful houses of Nyhavn, and the famous Little Mermaid
- Enjoy the famed charms of the past and present at the Royal Amalienborg Palace
Copenhagen Admiral Hotel or similar Breakfast & lunchFull Day Itinerary
Start the day with a hands-on Danish cooking class! Learn the art of making a traditional Danish smørrebrød, an open-faced sandwich that Danes considered the best in the world. With toppings prepared and bread sliced, assemble and decorate your smørrebrød that appeals to your eyes and taste buds! Your class concludes with a "hygge" communal lunch, where you will come together and dine on your specially made sandwich.
After lunch, meet with a local expert and enjoy a city tour. Embrace the spirit of hygge, how the Danish define togetherness and happiness, and discover the charm of one of Copenhagen's most iconic locales in Nyhavn. Stroll along the canal and view the colorful-lined houses as you feel the relaxed atmosphere that is quintessential Copenhagen. As you walk along the water, don't forget to look for house number 20. Once belonging to famed Danish poet and writer Hans C Andersen, he reminds us of the importance of travel with his notable quote, "To travel is to live."
Andersen is also the inspiration for another famous landmark on your walking tour: the Little Mermaid statue. Learn more about the fairy-tale story and the history behind this famed statue. Then, continue to the home of the Danish royal family at the Royal Amalienborg Palace. Experience the enthralling charms of past and present and embrace the history behind one of the world's oldest monarchies.
Day 4 Copenhagen, Overnight cruise to Oslo, Norway
- Sail through Copenhagen's idyllic canals on a morning cruise
- Enjoy time at leisure before embarking on an overnight cruise to Oslo, Norway
DFDS Ferry Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, explore Copenhagen from a different perspective and enjoy a cruise through the city's idyllic canals. Take in new and exciting views while learning more about the beautiful churches, houses, and landmarks that make up the city.
The rest of your afternoon is free at leisure to explore further, shop for Viking souvenirs, enjoy lunch in Nyhavn, or relax. Later, embark on an overnight cruise to Oslo, Norway. Dinner is included on the ship tonight.
Day 5 Oslo, Norway
- Arrive in Oslo and depart on a guided sightseeing tour of the city
- Visit Frogner Park, the Royal Palace, City Hall, and Askerhus Fortress
- Acquaint yourself with polar expeditions at the Fram Museum
- Learn more about a favorite Norwegian past-time at the Holmenkollen Ski Jump & Museum while taking in mesmerizing views of the city
Clarion Hotel The Hub or similar Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
Upon arrival in Norway, disembark and enjoy a sightseeing tour of Oslo, a brimming metropolitan city rich in world-class art, architecture, museums, and restaurants. Journey to Frogner Park and marvel at the over 200 unique sculptures created by Norwegian sculptor Gustav Vigeland. Continue to the picturesque Royal Palace, the splendid City Hall, and the medieval Askerhus Fortress. Then, visit The Fram Museum, home of The Fram, the first ship built especially for polar research. Experience life on the boat with 270-degree surround sound film while on the ship's deck.
Later this afternoon, visit the Holmenkollen Ski Jump & Museum. Magnificently protruding into the air, the ski jump provides a unique vantage point over the city of Oslo. Get your camera ready as you head to the top of the ski jump to witness this view. Considered to be a dominant country in the Winter Olympics, discover why Norwegians love their winter sports and see over 4,000 years' worth of skiing, snowboarding, and polar exploration artifacts at the museum.
Day 6 Oslo
- Enjoy a full day at leisure or take part in an optional tour to one of Oslo's famous museums
Clarion Hotel The Hub or similar BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
Today is free for you to explore Oslo at your leisure. Walk along the main Karl Johan Street with its many cafes, restaurants, and shops; visit unique attractions like the Oslo Opera House, where it is possible to walk on top of the roof; or take part in an optional visit to one of Oslo's famous museums. The choice is yours!Optional Excursion: Edvard Munch Museum, $65
Highlighting the work of famed Norwegian artist Edvard Munch, most notably The Scream, the Edvard Munch Museum is a must-see for those who enjoy art. A pioneer of symbolism and expressionism, Edvard Munch bequeathed all of his life's work to the city of Oslo before his passing. Today, there is a collection of over 20,000 different pieces on display.
Day 7 Flåm
- Ride the famous Flåm Railway, one of the world's most beautiful train journeys
- Whisk through the breathtaking mountains, waterfalls, and local villages
- Visit a local brewery and learn more about traditional Norwegian beer making with an included tasting
Fretheim Hotel or similar Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
This morning, leave behind the city and venture towards Norway's stunning fjords. Travel by train from Oslo to the town of Myrdal and board the famous Flåm Railway. The train journey takes you through a breathtaking array of steep mountains, cascading waterfalls, and local villages intertwined with nature. No matter which side of the train you are on, incredible views await!
Explore the village of Flåm at your leisure before visiting a local brewery. Learn more about traditional Norwegian beer making, engage in a fascinating storytelling presentation with the owners, and indulge in a sampling of five different types of beer. Join your fellow travelers for a delicious dinner at your hotel this evening.
Day 8 Flåm & Bergen
- Cruise through the spectacular and awe-inspiring fjords
- Depart Flåm by train and arrive in Bergen
Bergen Børs Hotel or similar Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
This morning, get ready for an unforgettable experience as you board a cruise through Nærøyfjord, one of Norway's most spectacular and awe-inspiring fjords. A UNESCO world heritage site, it is a bucket list item for many with its overload of scenic, striking mountains, and valleys. Your boat smoothly glides you along the water and presents many opportunities for pictures. It is encouraged to climb to your boat's top deck to maximize your experience!
Disembark in the town of Gudvangen and take the shuttle back to Flåm, where you have additional time at leisure. Depart by train and make your way towards Bergen. This will also allow you to take in the panoramic views of the Flåm railway for a second time!
Day 9 Bergen
- Meet with a local expert and enjoy a walking tour of Bergen
- Visit Hanseatic Bryggen, the Church of Mary, the Hakon Fortress, and Bergen's famous fish market
- Take the funicular to the top of Mount Fløyen and gaze out at the sensational view over Bergen
Bergen Børs Hotel or similar BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
Today, enjoy a morning walking tour of Bergen with a local expert. Considered the "heart of the fjords," Bergen is the second-largest city in Norway but still retains a small-town charm and character. Visit Hanseatic Bryggen, located along the waterfront with its signature brightly colored facades. A UNESCO world heritage site, step up close and take notice of the slight lean in a few of the houses that add to its authenticity and historical resolve. Continue to the Church of Mary, the oldest building in Bergen, and the nearby Hakon Fortress before visiting the Bergen fish market. For generations, the fish market has been a place of fundamental importance for merchants and fishers alike. Today it is home to some of the world's freshest fish and seafood.
A trip up the Fløibanen funicular awaits as you reach Mount Fløyen for a sensational panoramic view of the city. Step onto the large viewing platform and snap as many pictures as you'd like of the city below, and take in the sweet smell of a freshly baked cinnamon bun at one of the cafes at the top. The rest of the day is free to explore Bergen further on your own.
Day 10 Stockholm, Sweden
- Fly from Bergen to Stockholm, Sweden
- Check-in to your hotel and enjoy the rest of the day at leisure
Hotel At Six or similar BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
This morning, travel to the airport for your flight from Bergen to Stockholm, the capital of Sweden. Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel for check-in and enjoy the rest of the day at leisure for independent exploration.
Day 11 Stockholm
- See Stockholm's iconic sights including Gamla Stan, the Royal Palace, and City Hall
- Stop at a local cafe for a traditional Swedish fika coffee and cake break
- Enjoy a farewell dinner at a local restaurant
Hotel At Six or similar Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, enjoy a walking tour of the vibrant city of Stockholm, referred to as the "Venice of the North," with its intertwining waterways. Visit Gamla Stan, one of Northern Europe's oldest and most well-preserved old towns. Pass along the cobblestone streets and crooked but beautifully preserved medieval houses as you take in the friendly setting. Visit the official home of the Swedish monarch in the baroque-style Royal Palace, as well as the lavishly designed interior of Stockholm's City Hall. Then, stop for a sweet treat at a local cafe for a traditional Swedish Fika coffee and cake break.
Next, step inside the Vasa Museum, housing the only preserved 17th-century ship in the world, The Vasa. Having sunk on its maiden voyage from Stockholm in 1628, more than 95 percent of the ship and its intricate outer design have been recovered and restored. Witness its substantial size and learn more about its incredible first voyage.
Enjoy a delicious farewell dinner with beer or wine while recounting the incredible memories made during your time in Scandinavia.
Day 12 Depart Stockholm/Arrive USA
- Transfer to the airport for your return flight
- Arrive in the USA later today
Hotels & Ship
The Admiral Hotel stands mighty over the waters of Copenhagen's idyllic canals. Directly next to the royal Amalienborg Palace and a short walk from Nyhavn, it is in an ideal location for exploring the heart of the city.
Centrally located in Norway's capital city, the Clarion Hotel The Hub is a contemporary hotel with incredible facilities and ultra-modern rooms. Having opened in 2019, the hotel is an ideal place to stay to make the best of your time in Oslo with its ideal location, on-site bar and restaurants, and comfortable rooms.
Fretheim Hotel is located in the heart of the fjords and is surrounded by breathtaking views of the natural landscape. It is within a short walking distance of the Flåm Railway, Ægir Brewery, and a sweet bakery serving tasty treats.
The Bergen Børs Hotel is located directly in the middle of downtown Bergen and within walking distance of many of Bergen's main attractions including the colorful houses of Bryggen, the fish market, the harbor, the railroad station, and the funicular to Mount Fløyen. Once a former stock exchange building, the hotel offers a brilliant mix of historical architecture and modern luxury.
Hotel At Six is a luxurious and ultra-modern hotel located in the heart of downtown Stockholm. It is within a short walking distance of Stockholm's premier attractions including Gamla Stan, the Royal Palace, and a number of cozy cafés.
In the unlikely event that a particular hotel is not available, a similar or better hotel may be substituted.
The DFDS Ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo provides a desirable and scenic voyage from one Nordic country to another. Step aboard and feel the cool breeze whirl by as the ship sets sail. The same waters hold the memories of voyages taken by vikings past.
Reviews & Photos
We love hearing your stories and seeing your photos! Here are some moments other travelers captured on this package. Or check out our entire fan photo gallery.
- What should I know before I go? We've compiled a comprehensive checklist, including information on how to pay your balance due, flights & transfers, packing & luggage, and more.
- Do I need a visa or other documents? Are there any entry requirements? Please review the visa & entry requirements.
- Can I make changes to my trip? Want to upgrade your seats? Depart from another city? Stay a few extra days? Something else? Just ask!
- Can I bring my kids? Are there any age restrictions? To book this package, you must be 18 or older. Your traveling companions must be 8 or older at time of travel.
- Should I purchase travel insurance? Yes! We recommend you purchase travel insurance to help protect you and your travel investment against the unexpected. For your convenience, we offer a plan provided by Travelex Insurance Services.
- What's the fine print? Review the terms & conditions for this package.
- What should I know about Denmark? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
- What should I know about Norway? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
- What should I know about Sweden? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
- What should I know about Scandinavia? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
More Common Questions
- Common Questions Answers to our travelers' most frequently asked questions.